28.1.08

I've been a bad, bad blogger

but a good cycling commuter! This morning, I resigned myself to taking the T in. I was all dressed in my business attire at 6:50 a.m., sighing at the slush and ice that was taunting me on Beacon Street. I was sad at the thought of sitting on the dirty T with other miserable people on their way to work. That's when I decided to pack up my messenger bag, throw on some spandex and suck it up. The ride was fine and even though I left 10 minutes later than I usually do, I got to work at the same time I always do. I attempted to take the bike path, but it was covered in snow, which will not fly on road bike with road slicks. Parts of the ride were unpleasant and ridiculously windy. Actually, the worst wind was when I was about to turn right before heading into the parking garage. That section of my ride is like a wind tunnel. It was literally so windy that it held me at a stop while I continued to pedal forward. RAD.

Anyway, a few things keep me going when I am feel low on the bike hype. Oddly enough, one of them is my co-workers. They often ask if I rode in today. The answer is always yes (with an exception or two). I'd like to keep it that way. Another is seeing the usual bike commuters along my ride. Orange messenger bag guy who passes me on Beacon Street, riding clipless on his fixed gear, I salute you. Extremely large dude who always wears that electric blue ... jumpsuit that I always see crossing the Mass Ave. bridge, rock on. In front of him is always riding-on-an-upright-bike flannel shirt and beard dude. There are a few others, but those are the most notable. I wonder if anyone looks out for blue-bike-blue-jacket-blue-bag-blue-bandanna girl in the morning. The final thing that I look forward to is my ride home at night because it's always breathtaking and makes me feel like I'm a part of something. Take a look for yourself.

No comments: