1.1.08

Co-op cycling adventure

Since moving into my apartment this September, I have used my bicycle as my main mode of transportation. I am known among my friends as the girl that rides her bike everywhere.

My ride to good old Northeastern University is about 4 miles. It takes between 20-30 minutes to get there, depending on traffic and what route I take. Had I taken the T, it would have taken me 45 minutes to get to Hynes ... and then walk 15 minutes to campus. My other T option would take me an hour or more to change trains at Arlington, and pray that the E train appears sometime within the next hour. I can count on one hand the number of times I have traveled using the T when I needed to get somewhere. All of those times were for job interviews. Good thing, because I landed a job in Cambridge that I start tomorrow morning.

All of that was long winded way to get to where this post is going; I am dedicating this blog to my experiences commuting to work via bicycle. The first day, I will be taking the T in because although I know my work has showers and places to lock bikes, I don't know where the showers are and I don't need to be worried with the logistics on my first day. I'll save that for the second day of work. I can guarantee the second I step onto the T, I will immediately regret my decision and think to myself the entire time that I would be at work so much sooner if I had just ridden.

So, the commute is a little longer than what I'm used to but not by much. It's a little more than 6 miles (between 6.2 and 6.8 depending on what route). I don't think it will be a big deal. Admittedly, I have a limited amount of experience with traffic in Cambridge. Give me some Brookline yuppies on Beacon St. crossing without looking, the ridiculous pedestrian traffic in Longwood medical area or angry commuters on Route 9/Huntingon Ave and I'm at home. I actually haven't ridden the routes I have planned yet using my handy Boston bike map and Google Maps but if I'm not too tired after my first day of work, I want to go for a test ride.

I think this will be an especially interesting adventure since Boston winters can be brutal and I am really dedicated to avoiding the T as much as possible.

Happy New Year!

No comments: